Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pre-hunting season is upon us!

  One of the biggest reasons I shoot is for hunting - I grew up in a hunting family and every fall, we'd tramp out into the woods and (hopefully) bring back game. My father is far, far better at it than I am. I shot my first deer when I was 11, my second at 13, and then... nothing. I'm 35 and haven't connected with a big game animal in almost 23 years. I'm hoping to change that...

  So, new state, new group of shooting friends, and I'm going hunting. Two different camps this year, deer and elk.

  Dear season is sometime late September (depending on where you go), and elk is late rin October/November.

  Preparations have begun! I've picked up maps for two of the units I'm looking at for hunting. I'll study them carefully and lead expeditions to scout them out. A day in the woods with friends is always a blast.

  I'm also starting to load up some ammo for my venerable Remington 760 in .30-06. It's a tiny, vengeful god that speaks great fire from the bore and punishes the wielder. Only the pure of heart and dedicated of intent may use it safely.

  Misremembering the recipe for the gun, I bought the wrong powder AND the wrong bullets. I meant to get IMR4064 powder and Hornady spire points, and instead came home with IMR4350 and a box of Nosler AccuTips. How I got so confused, I'll never know. I just need to smile and take my medicine - working up a ladder test to see which rounds are the most accurate for my purposes. At least I got the bullet weight right - 165gr. I'll post results from the ladder test.

  Reloading will get its own series of posts, I'm still pretty new to it and have rookied just about everything I can. I got a case stuck fast in the depriming die(got it unstuck with the RCBS stuck case remover), I failed to seat a primer fully (got that fixed when I got the depriming die unstuck), mashed the necks on some cases... spilled powder. It's been one big Learning Opportunity, but I'm enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating!

We're all adults here, so I want us to all act like it. I will remove trollish, derogatory comments at my own discretion.