Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Big Kahuna




That's a Weatherby Mark V, left-handed and chambered in .338 WinMag. I found it at a local pawn shop, the original owner had traded it in for something else.

As I've been wanting to get into distance precision rifle work (and have done a wee bit with a friend of mine), I took the plunge and picked it up.

It's my first left-handed rifle. The action is smooth like silk. The trigger breaks crisply at about 3.5 pounds with no creep at all. It's heavy and fit me like it was designed for me. Is this what right-handed people feel like all the time?

I took the Nikon 3x9 scope it came with off of it and replaced it with my Nikon 4.5x14. Found a day to take it to the range for bore sighting and trial run.

To be honest, I've never boresighted before. It took a long time and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the crosshairs to line up with the bore picture - until it was pointed out to me that the ass end of a Leupold STC Mount has "windage screws" that you use to line up the scope before even bore sighting.. and I hadn't set them properly. We fixed that, got the scope lined up and then it was time to test it.

Oh good lord. That first round to go off rocked my world. It was also pretty close to zeroed at 200 yards. Excellent work from my friend that helped me boresight it. Within 5 rounds, we had it dialed in and I fired two consecutive rounds that overlapped in the X-ring.

I loved it.

Sadly, it's way too much rifle for what I am doing right now. I noticed that I was starting to flinch while pulling the trigger. I know that I could get a recoil pad, but I thought about how much it'll take to feed this beast and the fact is - I'm shooting sub-1000 meters right now. I'm not hunting with this rifle. It offers almost no advantages in that useage case than a number of other options.

So, it's my first sale up on GunBroker. It's a hell of a good rifle and someone will love it, I'm sure. click here to check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating!

We're all adults here, so I want us to all act like it. I will remove trollish, derogatory comments at my own discretion.