Friday, April 26, 2013

Safety... third?

OK, this probably makes me a bit of a bad person, but I can't stop laughing at this guy...

Florida man injured while hunting with a .40 cal round taped to the end of a BB gun.

Basically, he "found some cartridges while looking for scrap metal," then taped a live round to the end of his BB gun. The idea was to shoot a squirrel for dinner. The BB hit the primer, the primer set off the round, which - since it wasn't in a chamber - detonated. He was struck by fragments and needed medical care.

Folks, guns are dangerous, I think I've made that perfectly clear. Maybe I haven't made it very clear that ammo is also incredibly dangerous. A loaded cartridge is basically a shaped charge designed to accelerate a chunk of metal out of a tube. The primer is a contact explosive that sets off the powder inside the casing. It needs to be inserted into something designed to act as a firing chamber in order to go off with ANY measure of safety.

  Our hapless protagonist here has a history of poor choices, the LEAST of which may have been taping live ammo to a BB gun. It's hard for me to fathom how this ever sounded like a good idea.

  I often shout "SAFETY THIRD!" when I'm running off to do something of questionable physical outcome, but even this is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating!

We're all adults here, so I want us to all act like it. I will remove trollish, derogatory comments at my own discretion.